Sunday, September 19, 2010

Lameness

I was asked to provide a number of rough ideas for logos for a group. I submitted about 6. Understand that I am not a graphic artist. I am a mum who messes around with graphics programs on the computer a bit, NOT a graphic artist. Colour me livid when the submissions from myself and 2 other people are met with responses like "Can we just throw in money and pay a professional? These are all shite"

If you are going to ask volunteers to do something for you out of the goodness of their hearts you could have the common decency to be grateful for the efforts they put in. I could have done something else with the hours I put into the logos I submitted as I am sure could the other people who submitted designs. I might add that the people making complaints where not stepping up to submit anything themselves. Constructive criticism would have been appreciated. Outright put downs are not constructive. It is no wonder that more and more people walk away from volunteering.

I don't expect life to be a mutual appreciation society, nor do I want that. What is the point of patting each others heads and saying "There there, that's very good!" if it isn't? If something is not good and needs improvement, say so and explain how, offer help, offer suggestions. 

I'm very tired of people hiding behind sugar coated frosting or pre-fabricated cardboard towers. Be real and honest. 

I've had about 3 hours sleep after one of the worst nights I have had in a long time. I do not apologise for being raw.

No comments:

Post a Comment