Thursday, October 15, 2015

4 years 8 months

It's that time of the month again. Blog post time!

Things have been pretty amazing since last post.

The lovely +Charles Strebor came to visit. +Cathy Samuels +Hendrik Ebber +Leigh Wheeler +Richard Bell +Kim Robertson and I alll went to play with fire in the rain. The next day Charles, Kim and I went to Springbrook and had some lovely quiet time together.


Kim and I went to Tasmania for a week to celebrate 19 years of marriage. We had a wonderful time adventuring and finding some beautiful spots to go and see again.



The following week I went to the 'From nature to treatment: translating from bench to bedside' forum presented by QIMR Berghofer. It was a really interesting look at the research that has been and is going on. There are some truly amazing things happening in our research labs. It is very encouraging to see the leaps and bounds. All of this brings up closer to our world getting better and so many other illnesses being managed if not cured.

Kim and James flew off to Adelaide to celebrate a friend turning 50.

I missed the trip. I had promised to do the 5km at the Twilight Bay Run this year for my Dad. A bit of back story there. Last year I registered my Dad and I to do the 5km together. I was going to push him in his wheelchair and we'd make a fun afternoon of it. My Dad passed away 8 days after I registered the pair of us for the event. So, I missed the birthday to follow through with a promise. In spite of having been pretty (seriously) ill since the beginning of the year, I made it to the event and I did the 5km. I walked it. It was the best I could do and I did it.



The last week of September I popped off to the Metro South Health forum and got involved in some really interesting discussions about the next year and the things that need to be implemented. It was great to hear from so many different people from such diverse backgrounds about what it is that they see as being the most important things that need to be reviewed.

I flew to Melbourne on Friday and had a lovely afternoon with +Kim Sinclair doing lunch and catching up. Saturday I headed off with some lovely ladies to Torquay. The Peace of Mind Foundation held their first Women's Brain Cancer Retreat. It was fantastic being able to see all of these wonderful women arrive at the retreat. Over the course of the weekend I got to see some amazing friendships form and made some new friends myself. The pinnacle of the weekend was the hotsprings on the final day of the retreat. Bec Picone did and fabulous job of putting it all together so that it all went off fantastically! Monday I flew home after spending the day with an old friend from mIRC. Yes... mIRC look it up if you don't remember it :)



Since I have been home I have managed to polish off a few more courses.
  • Psychological First Aid through Johns Hopkins University
  • Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects through University of California
  • Neuroscience: Perception, Action and the Brain through Duke University
  • Mindfulness for Wellbeing and Peak Performance through Monash University
  • The Informed Health Consumer: Making Sense of Evidence through Cardiff University
Next week looks crazy busy with an AGM, an ASM, a summit and workshop. My little, and by little I mean younger, brother will be my +1 at the ASM Dinner. Kim is heading off for a weekend of Trains with his Dad.

Next month looks like it will be a crazy busy one as well.

Stay safe and well...



No comments:

Post a Comment